Dr Rebecca Handford is thrilled to join the Angel Hands community of therapists and healers. She has been in practice as a Naturopathic Doctor for 9 years serving the Vancouver and Lower Mainland focusing on treating people with chronic conditions and autoimmune diseases. She developed several autoimmune conditions in her 20s, leading her to search for solutions outside the traditional medical system. She found answers, and healing, in Naturopathic Medicine.
Dr. Handford graduated from the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine in 2007 after her previous work in counselling and administration for several the non-profit organizations. Her unique background has given her the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life and communities, and she believes that everyone can benefit from the healing power of nature.
Dr. Handford also believes that health is a balancing act that changes from day to day. Health arises not just from our genetics, behaviour and habits, but also from our environment and attitudes to life and life events. She approaches each person who comes to her as an individual with a “life story” unique to them. She spends time getting to know her patients’ personal and family history, their medical history, their habits and patterns of behaviour, and their current state of health, using interviews, physical exams, and lab testing. She creates holistic treatment plans that include dietary suggestions, supplements designed to support the body’s innate healing abilities, physical medicines such as IV therapies or injections, exercise prescriptions, and stress-reduction interventions. She may also write pharmaceutical prescriptions and referrals to other professionals as needed. Dr. Handford is skilled at differential diagnosis and finding the root causes of disease; she is a proactive doctor who supports her patients to be their healthiest, happiest selves, now, and in the future.
Dr. Handford has successfully treated many conditions including:
– Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Psoriasis, Polymyalgia Arthritica, MS, and other autoimmune conditions
– Digestive issues such as chronic constipation, IBS, GERD, Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease
– Parkinson’s Disease, Post-Herpetic Neuralgia, Peripheral Neuropathy and other neurological conditions
– Depression and anxiety disorders
– Seasonal allergies, asthma, and eczema
– Liver toxicity, gallstones and Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
– Menstrual irregularities, dysmenorrhea, menopausal symptoms
– Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes
– Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy and other men’s health concerns